- Use a non-identifiable screen name and avoid using your first or last name in it. Most importantly, try not to send the wrong idea with an overly sexual screen name, you may attract attention you do not want.
- Pictures can lie, and so can people online. Spend a lot of time getting to know your interest without being too specific about yourself. Be open minded, some people online can be somewhat selective with the truth about age, weight, etcetera. Some people will be not be what they present themselves to be online so don't assume you've met Mister/Miss Right too quickly if that's what you're looking for.
- When you are ready to chat outside of Find Your Geek using IM services, make an IM handle specifically for talking to your online interest.
- Do not be afraid to be firm with someone who is bothering you. If you are not interested in someone, let them know politely and firmly. It is worse to string someone along then it is to just let them know right off that they need to move on to another interest.
- When you are finally ready to talk to your interest on the phone, use a service like Skype, a public phone or block your number. Still be on guard with your personal information as hearing a person's voice can sometimes make you open up to them too much.
- When you've talked to your interest online, through IM and/or on the phone and you have both decided it is time to meet up, start with lots of planning. Meeting an interest from the internet can be fun and exciting, and even safe!
- When the day comes to meet your interest, bring a close friend. Meet during the day, in a public setting and make sure someone other than your friend you are taking knows where you will be, what you are doing, and a time when you will call them to let them know how it went.
- Don't go into your interest's hotel room or go home with them.
- Remember your Netiquette and your manners. Just because your interest turns out to be not what you expected doesn't give you the right to be mean to them.
- If you're cyberdating, it's important that you remember that there are always risks in dating, online or in real life, especially when you are dating a stranger. Be smart, be safe, take a friend, trust your gut and keep your wits about you and who knows, you may end up finding that perfect person!
Finally, if you feel threatened by a member or are being harrassed, whether it be through a message they sent you or otherwise, contact us immediately either by clicking on the icon on the applicable message, photo or profile or by using our contact page.